Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Reno

We arrived in Reno Monday evening. Actually, to be more accurate, we were in Sparks, which is right next to Reno. Nate spent the following couple of days attending the "International CAD Conference and Exhibition" presentations he went there for. Nate presented his own research from his master's thesis at the conference Wednesday morning, and I was able attended his presentation. He did an excellent job.

Being in Reno and the hotel though was not very exciting. I have never understood why anyone would spend their vacation at a casino resort in the middle of a crowded city in the desert, but having actually spent some time in one myself now, I am even more confused by it. When you could go anywhere, why would you spend your time in a flashy gaudy hotel? And even more puzzling, why would you spend your vacation in a jam packed, smoky, stuffy, stale casino throwing away your money? (Especially in a place like Reno that is so close to one of my favorite mountain ranges, the Sierra Nevada Mountains.) It is honestly a mystery to me. I don't understand why that appeals so much to so many people, but it apparently does.

I generally felt out of place at the hotel, but I especially felt out of place as I walked through the halls first thing Tuesday morning carrying my French easel, camera, and camelpak. I was on my way to the Washoe Lake State Park. I spent the morning there along the beach painting Slide Mountain and the lake. It was a beautiful, peaceful area. The gentle light and the cool refreshing morning air were a welcome relief from the noise and glitz of the city. My only company came from the birds with their accompanying songs.

I liked it there so much that I returned to the park Wednesday morning before Nate's presentation to walk along the beach and explore other areas as I took more pictures. It was nice to be able to get away, because I was a bit bored at the hotel the rest of the time.




















Above is a view of the lake from "Deadman's Creek Trail."
Below are pictures of wild rose and cool looking dead tree
along the trail.









Tuesday evening we went bowling with Nate's friend Shane who was also presenting at the conference. Wednesday evening we drove to downtown Reno where we walked along the pathway by the river, which was nice but windy.


So, our time in Reno wasn't bad. We did some fun things, and it was good for Nate to be able to go to the conference. It was also nice that the conference was at the right before Nate's brother's wedding so that we could just stop by it on the way to California.

No comments: