Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grandpa Scott

On New Years Day, my paternal grandfather passed away peacefully in his sleep. The funeral was on Tuesday the 5th. I worked a half day on Monday, then we drove down to Orem for the viewing that evening.


This is the program from the funeral. My grandfather passed along his love of (and talent for) music to the whole family, so there were a lot of musical numbers including the older grandchildren and their spouses singing "My Other Father" that Grandpa Scott composed himself. It is a beautiful song about the transitioning relationship between both earthly and heavenly sons and fathers.


It was also fun and interesting to hear stories about Grandpa from those that spoke. My sister told about the time just after her infant son had died that Grandpa came up to her and said "Ha ha, I get to see Spencer before you do." He was always joking around like that (bet you never would have guessed, knowing how serious a person I am). One thing we all remember about him was the song he sang that when recorded and played in reverse sounded almost perfectly like London Bridges Falling Down. Here is my amateur version (played forward and backward) which somewhat resembles the right song.

The Interment was at the Utah Veterans Memorial Park at Camp Williams and the ceremony was very nice. The honor guard presented my Grandma with a U.S Flag, and the bugler played taps. There was also a bagpipe player who played O Danny Boy and Amazing Grace.



After the dedication of the grave, we returned to Orem and there was a very generous luncheon provided by the ward. It was good to spend time with all of the family and I am sure my Grandmother was very pleased to see how many people were there to support her and show their love for Grandpa. Almost the entire extended family was able to make it to the funeral. If you know anything about my family, you know that is A LOT of people! My grandparents have 60 grandchildren, and more than 30 great grandchildren plus there are all the spouses too.

UPDATE: Since the huge family picture was posted, I thought I would include it here. Thanks Cliff for making it happen.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.