Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Frary Peak Adventure

Last weekend we went on another hike at Antelope Island (we bought the annual pass and are determined to get our money's worth). For this post, I thought I'd give you the special-features-with-cast-commentary or play-by-play version of our latest hike, since it was one of the more adventurous experiences we've had. These first two pictures show the layout of the hike and have markers corresponding to the commentary below.  If you have Google Earth you can open up this file and read the commentary in each marker as you follow the path. Otherwise, you'll want to open up the first two pictures in a new window to see them full size as you read. The yellow line represents the path we followed on the way to the peak, and the green lines are the path on the way down.  The majority of the hike was nothing too special.  There were some steep climbs at times, and some pretty views, but the adventure really starts towards the end, so that's where the commentary starts.

 Open this Google Earth File to see more details
  1. This is where we thought to ourselves "why is the trail going down so much now? The peak is right there! We should be able to just walk along the ridge line. "
  2.  "Boy this is slippery and muddy and steep! There are foot prints, so i guess we're on the trail still, but it's sure hard to tell otherwise. This trail is going to be really hard to come back down."
  3.  "Man! These stairs are steep. We probably couldn't even make it up this part without them."
  4.  We made it! Huh, there were some better views from other places along the trail. At least we can sit down and rest and have a snack...


    Ok, we have a little more than an hour and a half to make it back. That should be plenty of time.

  5. "Oh look. there's a path that goes along this other side of the ridge. Maybe that won't be as slippery and steep."
  6. Well I can't really see much of a path anymore, but from this overlook point, It looks like we should be able to make it across the ridge line.
  7. "I can't make it accross that Nate! My limbs aren't as long as yours"..."Here, I'll help you, just don't look down...ok, whew!, you made it!" (This probably wasn't such a great idea, but we can't really go back now)
  8. Ok, I'll go ahead and scope it out. You stay here, Rebecca.
  9. Nope
  10. Nope
  11. Nope
  12. This is probably the easiest place to go down. (and it wasn't very easy)


  13. These rocks are really loose. I'll come back up and we'll try over there. (This is taking a whole lot longer than the way we came!)
  14. We made it back to the trail! Whew! Now let's book it! (We have about 40 minutes to make it back the rest of the way before the trail closes.)

This is just one of the pictures along the way that we thought was pretty.


    5 comments:

    Amy F. P. said...

    What an adventure. You guys are always doing the best outdoor things.

    Bethany, Scott, and family said...

    Whoa, that looked exciting! Good times!

    heath said...

    Wow, what an adventure. Glad you made it up and back ok.

    Unknown said...

    I want to go there!!!

    Bryce and Kathy said...

    ha ha, I loved the commentary and could picture the entire hike!