Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

In Memory of Boots

March 17, 1996 - May 21, 2011

Boots and me soon after I first got him


Boots' first Christmas

Boots playing "The Easter Bird"


A few months before we left Texas

Christmas in our Provo Apartment (with Boots in the tree)

Boots' 12th Birthday

Boots' 13th Birthday

When I walked into the kitchen Saturday morning, I noticed Boots' foot was covered in blood, as were the feathers on his underside. Alarmed, I examined him further and saw that one of his toenails was gone. It looked like it had somehow broken off. I immediately started to apply pressure to try to stop the bleeding, but my efforts didn't seem to produce any results. We called the vet and took Boots in with high hopes that they could help. The vet said they needed to stitch the wound. After they took Boots in to surgery, they told us we could go home and they would call when he was done and had recovered from the anesthetic. However, I was shocked we got a call about a half hour later from the vet saying that Boots hadn't made it back from the anesthetic. They couldn't get him to wake back up. Nate went and recovered his body from the vet and we buried him in our back yard that afternoon.

It is hard having Boots gone. I keep expecting to see him when I go into the kitchen, but then I just see an empty cage and remember all over again that he is gone. It makes me so very sad. Boots has been my little companion for fifteen years. I got him the summer after seventh grade. It was so nice at that time to have a little bird who always acted so happy to see me, especially at a time when I had few if any friends at school. He always was a bit neurotic with a tendency to injury himself, but we loved him all the same. He was a lot of fun to have around, and I will continue to miss him greatly.

5 comments:

Bethany, Scott, and family said...

That is so sad!!! Sorry for the loss of your cute bird!!

Allan said...

That's a nice remembrance you've compiled. I can't think of the right word instead of remembrance. Eulogy? I'm not sure if that's the right word. Sorry he passed away.

Cambria said...

Sad!! That is just too bad!

heath said...

Oh, that's so sad! Was it a self-inflicted injury? I'm sorry--animals are part of the family, so I know it's hard to lose them.

just a little bit mo said...

It's hard to lose a friend of thirteen years. Rest in peace, Boots.