Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Europe Tour Day 1-2 - Savona, Italy

We spent the first week of our vacation in Italy.  (See our Week 1 Itinerary Map here)  On Saturday March 15, we had a long but beautiful drive through Austria, Switzerland, and Northern Italy.  About half-way through, we stopped in Como, Italy to see the gorgeous Lake Como area.

 




We stayed in Varazze, Italy Saturday and Sunday nights, which is on the cost of the Mediterranean Sea. We stayed at Soggiorno Sole, a very pink hotel with shared bathrooms and no credit cards accepted but a good breakfast.


On Sunday morning we attended church at the Savona branch, where I spent 8 months of my mission.  We would have been on time, but it took more than 20 minutes to inch our way out of the super-tight parking spot at the hotel.  It was so fun to see the Savona branch again.  There were so many faces I remembered (and even some names) and several of them remembered me as well even though it has been 13 years.


(In the room that serves a the chapel, sort of Left to Right but not identifying everyone: Michele Pelle, ?, Valentina Pelle, Sister Pelle, Me, Brother and Sister Mont'Alto, (back - The DiMilatos, Angelo Asturi), Antonio Pelle)


The family I knew best when I served in Savona was the Pelle family.  Brother Pelle was the branch president.  They invited us over for lunch and it was fun just visiting with them and relaxing at their home. Austin even had a blast playing with their toy monster truck. Brother Pelle is now serving as second counselor in the stake presidency there, so we were fortunate to visit on a week he was at home.


This was a photo that Brother Pelle had of us from way back when I served there.


After eating lunch with them we just walked around Savona a little.  The photos below are from, and of, the Priamar Fortress.








After seeing the castle, we walked through the town a little too before returning to our hotel in Varazze (which is 20 or so minutes away).




1 comment:

heath said...

How fun. I didn't remember that you served your mission in Italy. Glad you could make it back.