Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Blackhawk


A couple weeks ago, my former horseback riding instructor Geneva informed me that she and her family were spending a week or so up at Blackhawk camping and riding. This is something they do every year with a group of friends and their horses and families. Geneva also invites her students to come up for a bit as well. I was also invited, so first thing yesterday morning I drove down to Payson and up the Nebo Loop to Blackhawk. Everyone else was gone at the time except for Geneva and her daughter. The three of us saddled up and headed out. I rode Kane, Geneva rode Kala, and her daughter rode Honey. We rode around the long loop, as Geneva calls it, which took us the whole afternoon. It was great fun to walk, trot, and lope along the trail on the back of a horse while enjoying the beautiful mountain scenery and the good company.









The trail wound along steep ridges, over open meadows, by trickling springs, past wind weathered evergreens, and through flower laced aspen groves. Besides the great scenery, there were plenty of squirrels to see, and lots of cows to chase. There were lots of birds too, including the sage grouse that would fly up suddenly from the brush and startle our horses.


Geneva and I playfully took pictures of each other at the same time. Below is a picture taken towards the end of the trail as we headed along a ridge. The view from here was fantastic. The highest point of dark green mountain in the middle ground is Blackhawk, and the campsite is just below there.




Below to the left is a view looking back on the ridge from where the picture above was taken. Below to the right is a picture of Geneva with her daughter back near the campsite.









Here I am riding Kane through the pasture in front of the campsite with Loafer Mountain in the background.

After the ride, we let the horses graze. They were certainly hungry after the long ride. I was feeling pretty tired and hungry myself by then, and today I am super stiff and sore. That is what I get for riding about six hours or so after not riding much for so long. But it was definitely worth it!

2 comments:

lori said...

So good to see you atop a beautiful horse!! GLAD you got to go! (Can't wait for Lucy to wake up...she'll love these pics!)

heath said...

Those are beautiful horses!