Years and years ago when I was much younger, I once asked my dad what his favorite holiday was. I remember being surprised when he told me it was Thanksgiving. I liked Thanksgiving, but it just didn't seem as exciting to me as the other holidays. My favorite holiday at the time was Christmas, which brought with it a season bursting with magic and excitement.
I think that my feelings at that time are shared by many people today. From what I have seen, Thanksgiving for many is just a day to eat a lot of good food and/or a great day for football. There are many who can hardly wait to get through Thanksgiving so they can start Christmas celebrations. Many don't even want to wait...they are ready to start the Christmas music and sometimes even the decorations in November. It isn't hard to find radio stations here playing Christmas music starting the day after Halloween.
However, since I asked my dad that question so long ago, I have developed a different understanding and appreciation for Thanksgiving. I love the Christmas spirit of good will and cheer, but I also love the Thanksgiving spirit of sincere gratitude. I love the wonderful strains of Christmas music, but I also treasure the less known but equally beautiful hymns and songs of thanksgiving. I love the magic of Christmas, but I also love the gentle humility of Thanksgiving. I love the spirits of both seasons, but I think it is sad that the sweet and humble spirit of Thanksgiving is so often brushed over in a rush to reach the seemingly more dazzling spirit of Christmas.
"Gratitude is a Spirit-filled principle. It opens our minds to a universe permeated with the richness of a living God." - Bonnie D. Parkin, former Primary General President
"We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in
the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an
attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious
sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues." - President Thomas S. Monson
"All our discontents about what we want appeared to spring from the want of thankfulness for what we have."
- Daniel Defoe
2 comments:
I agree, thanks! We have a "gratitude calendar". It's just a wall calendar, but instead of putting down appointments, we write down what we are grateful for that day. It was just going to be one year, but I definitely have to keep that tradition up :)
Amy I love that idea! I may have to try it!
Post a Comment