Pages

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Mother's Day & More

This year we had a nice dinner at my brother's new house for Mother's Day. Nate went to a lot of effort to make an amazing dessert: a fruit tart. That is something neither of us has attempted before, so I was particularly impressed when he made a nice pastry cream and everything. It turned out looking fantastic and tasting great too! Just goes to show how seriously amazing a husband I have...


I gave my mom, my grandmothers, and Nate's mom some honey almond cold process soap that I had made. It even had almond oil, beeswax, and honey in it. It is probably the fanciest soap I have attempted yet, as I had to do it in two batches: one to make the embeds and one to make the rest of the soap. I had to carefully carve, paint, and cut the almond slices that went on top.



Nate got me a table to put our planer on so we can actually use it. Austin picked out a balloon for me that said "Mom You're the Best." He also gave me a paper he filled out in primary that I loved; his answers made me laugh since he obviously projected a lot of his favorites onto me.



Then there have been a couple random events of sort that happened during May. For example, I was startled to open our barn one day an find a mound of hair breathing on a mulch pile we have inside. I wasn't entirely sure what animal had taken up residence there at first, but I soon found that it was a racoon.


It didn't seem to have much interest in leaving for awhile, but after deciding to go out and try spraying it with our hose to hasten its departure, we found it had finally seemed to leave on its own accord. We were very glad when it moved on...especially since by being in our barn it was right next to our chickens.

Speaking of which, we got our first "fairy egg" from one our our hens late in May as well. I had never seen such a thing before and found it looked very odd next to our normal sized eggs; it was only about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of them. Chickens only lay such tiny eggs when something disturbs them or before their reproductive systems fulled kick into gear. It must have been the former in this case.


1 comment:

heath said...

At first I read that you got a table for your planner and I was very confused. I thought, man, they must keep a tidy house if they have special tables for planners!