Saturday was pretty busy. We got up at about 6:00 and hurried to the Clearfield City Freedom Run, which started at 7:00. I signed up to run the 5k. I had never run any sort of official race before, but I thought it would be fun to try it. After arriving at the city building where the race started, I picked up my number. Each number had a section at the bottom to rip off and turn in at the end of the race with the contestant's name, age, and other pertinent information on it. While pinning my number on, I noticed that they had my age as being 45. Good thing I noticed, or I would have been very surprised when they announced the race results and placed me in the 45-49 age group.
I was frustrated with the way they started the race. There were two different events, the 5k run and the 2 mile walk, but they started them at the same time and at the same place. They had everyone, both walkers and runners, line up behind the same starting line. This meant that many runners, including myself, got stuck at the end of the line behind many of the walkers. It is hard enough to make your way through slower runners at such races, but it is even more frustrating to push your way past walkers, some of them with their whole family and pushing strollers. Plus, unlike some races, they didn't have a way to keep track of when you crossed the starting line to begin the race, so those at the back of the line had to go a little further while pushing their way through people as well. My other problem was that I couldn't see the finish line as I came up to it because of the way the road curved into it. I probably would have picked up my pace sooner had I known where the finish line was. I came in at 25 minutes 12 seconds, which isn't my best time for that distance, but it is alright. I came in 47th overall, and I got second place in my age/gender division. It was fun to run, and I am glad I participated. Plus, I won one of the raffle prizes at the end: a $25 gift card to Striders (a running store).

2 comments:
Nice job! You run really well for a 45 year old.
Did your grandma pull out the marshmallow guns? I remember shooting everyone with marshmallows one July Fourth long ago...
Post a Comment